Atlanta Public Schools
District Partner 2008-2010
ERS partnered with Atlanta (APS) to map resource use, prioritize areas to redirect resources, advise on school design, and develop a Teacher Effectiveness Dashboard.
"Our partner districts show us what's really happening on the ground—the data reveal where resources are going and our relationships with district leadership teams refines our best thinking about solutions."
-Karen Hawley Miles, Executive Director, ERS
- Resource Mapping: Created a resource map for the district including selecting a series of metrics to track over time
- School Design: Helped develop, implement, and assess “Vanguard” middle school designs as part of APS Middle School Transformation initiative
- Resource Mapping: Continue to track resource use metrics that emerged from initial SY05-06 analysis
- Funding: Worked with district leadership to identify new/evolving opportunities for resource realignment as new data emerges with a particular focus on ARRA funding opportunities and broader revenue environment
- Human Capital: Helped develop and implement a data dashboard—Teacher Effectiveness Dashboard (TED)—to inform human capital decision-making across the district, as part of APS’ Effective Teacher in Every Classroom (ETEC) initiative, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Findings and Outcomes
- Changes to Reform Strategy: APS district leadership has used our resource analysis and recommendations to change the way they communicate and now distinguishes their reform strategy as having two phases—the first phase being school-driven and the next phase being teacher-driven; additionally, the APS superintendent and cabinet have shifted decision making to focus more on trade-offs instead of looking at each decision independently, and have opted to secure additional technical support to continue the resource analysis work
- Human Capital: We partnered with APS to develop a cutting edge tool called the Teaching Effectiveness Dashboard (TED), which is a management tool that consolidates and integrates a wide range of data on teacher effectiveness—from certification and experience to student performance to principal evaluation—to help district and school leaders make strategic decisions around teacher hiring, assignment, support, retention, and dismissal; it was piloted in SY09-10 with 16 secondary schools, and as of that year, there were plans to roll out the tool across all of APS starting in SY2010-11
- Human Capital: As a result of the our analysis, the district has developed an HR strategy, changed the structure and timing of professional development days, and has more data to support their school closure/consolidation decisions
- School Design: In SY09-10, APS piloted new middle school designs that align with our strategic design principles
« View All Partners