District Partner 2004–2005
ERS partnered with the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) to inform the district’s efforts to rethink the role of Human Resources (HR) in supporting a comprehensive professional development (PD) system.
"ERS is the best in the country at saying, 'If you invest your resources this way, it correlates with this end result.'"
-Elizabeth Arons, former Senior Human Resources Policy Advisor,
New York City Department of Education
Students: 1.1 million
Staff: 80,000 teachers
- Resource Mapping/ Human Resources: Create a resource map and analysis of the district’s HR spending and conduct a strategic review of all HR activities
Findings and Outcomes
ERS presented NYCDOE with a complete picture of the costs, strengths, and weaknesses of the district’s current PD system that assessed the following factors:
- Alignment of the district’s HR spending with research-based principles of effective PD.
- Cost and efficacy of HR’s approaches to new teacher induction, mentoring, and performance management of teachers and principals.
- Variances in the cost of new teacher induction for teachers who enter the profession through different routes.
- Cost of awarding teacher salary increments for gaining course credits.
- ERS’ work enabled NYCDOE to identify ways to make its PD more strategic and resulted in a blueprint of HR’ role that spans hiring, induction, support, and incentives for career growth.
« View All Partners