District Partner 2006-2007
ERS partnered with Saint Paul Public Schools (SPPS) to deepen the district’s understanding of its current school system spending.
"SPPS must focus on its achievement and future as a district that offers education in different ways, redesigning and repackaging itself to offer education in new and diverse ways. The whole point is not lowering our standards of education for all kids. It can be done."
-Valeria Silva, Superintendent, Saint Paul Public Schools, (in interview
by Mary Turck, Twin Cities Daily Planet
, February 28, 2010)
- Resource Mapping: To create a resource map of SPPS’ allocation of people, time, and money and to identify opportunities to redirect resources for effective school improvement.
Findings and Outcomes
- ERS produced a report, Toward a Strategic Use of Resources in Saint Paul Public Schools, based on our comprehensive analysis of resource use in Saint Paul Public Schools. This analysis included:
- A comparison of spending at the system level by function
- A high-level analysis of how schools use their existing people, time, and money in comparison to research-based ways of improving student performance
- A series of interviews with leaders throughout the district and working sessions with key district leaders
- Many collaborative sessions with the district's cabinet
- This report contains four priority recommendations:
- Use a “pull-in” model to provide special education services.
- Develop an accountability system to ensure the strategic use of school resources.
- Provide training for principals regarding strategic use of resources.
- Develop a district-wide professional development (PD) strategy that aligns PD with SPSS’ priorities.
« View All Partners