This tool includes publicly available data from over 500 public school districts in the state of California. Users can explore and compare individual district’s enrollment (SY 15-16 to SY 21-22) and demographic data, as well as county-level birth rate and population trends.
ACCESS AND NAVIGATION
The dataset below includes nine different visuals ranging from total enrollment to enrollment projections. Use the filter to search or scroll for your desired district(s). Select multiple districts by holding down the [CTRL] key.
Other important notes:
- Make sure at least one district is always selected to avoid seeing trendlines for all districts in the tool
- For the "Enrollment by Grade" and "Persistence Rates" pages, please select only one district
- For the "Birth Rate" page, you can compare district data to statewide data by selecting "State of California" in the District Name filter
Our analysis includes elementary, high, and unified school districts with a traditional educational option type. Furthermore, alternative and charter school types were excluded.
These visualizations are based on data that was publicly available at the time of publication. Individual districts may have access to more recent or additional data that is not included in these analyses.
- California Department of Education Census Day Enrollment by School, 2015-16 to 2021-22
- California Department of Education CALPADS UPC Source Files, 2015-16 to 2021-22
- U.S. Census, Annual County and Puerto Rico Municipio Resident Population Estimates by Selected Age Groups: 2010-2020
- California Department of Health and Human Services Open Data, Final Births by Year by County, 1960-2021
- California Department of Finance County Population Estimates and Components of Change by Year, 2010-2021